Struggling to come up with some New Year’s Resolutions for 2014? Here is some eighteenth-century inspiration (and some of them seem terribly familiar…)
1. To sort out your love life (whatever form that may take)
Resolv’d to be Married!! Resolv’d to live Single
Resolv’d to turn away Betty, having form’d a more desirable connection with Jenny
2. To learn something new
Resolv’d to be as captivating as possible
3. To be more healthy
Resolv’d to live very abstemious
4. To stop embarrassing yourself in public quite as often
Resolv’d to bid farewell to Scandal
5. To be a bit more brave
Resolv’d to be meek no longer
6. To consider a career change?
Resolv’d to indulge the World with no more works of Genius ’till better paid for them
7. To adopt a new outlook on life (you’re never too old…)
Resolv’d to lead a new Life
8. That all important 1st of January feeling: NEVER DRINKING AGAIN!!
Resolv’d not to drink so much in future
Myself, I intend to be as captivating as possible. A Happy New Year to all of you!
– Images: Detail from ‘A Long String of Resolutions for the New Year’ by G. M. Woodward (1792)