Five Things a Man don’t like in a Wife
– A Woman who will cuckold her Husband
– She who carries false Tales from one to another
– She who will be drunk before her Husband
– She who runs her Husband in Debt without his Knowledge
– She who pretends to love her Husband, but loves another better
And for the sake of equality….
Five Sorts of Husbands a Woman don’t like
– A quarrelsome Husband
– A jealous Husband
– A drunken Husband
– A Spendthrift
– One who is running after Whores, when he has a good honest Wife at home
So, gist is….
LADIES: No sleeping around, irresponsible boozing, or unnecessary shopping trips on your husband’s credit card.
GENTS: No sleeping around, irresponsible boozing, or unnecessary spending.
Hmmm. Maybe not so ridiculous after all.
From ‘The Five Strange Wonders of the World’ (c1785). Courtesy of the Lewis Walpole Library.
Reblogged this on Mints And Wisdom and commented:
Reblogged this on LordBeariOfBow.
Some things never change, do they? Thanks for the post it’s made my day 🙂
Yep, they all sound pretty applicable to modern life. I’m a big believer in the idea that people in the past weren’t actually so different to people today.
Oh man, but ladies can’t gossip AND be good wives? Guess that’s why I’m unmarried!
Reblogged this on CHRISTINA GEORGE and commented:
Such pearls of wisdom that applies to this day. Brilliant!